Fox Theatre

424 North Main Street,
Hendersonville, NC 28792

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Architects: Erle G. Stillwell

Previous Names: Queen Theatre, State Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Fox Theatre

Opened on July 1, 1915. It was remodelled in 1922 and reopened as the Queen Theatre on July 3, 1922. It was gutted by fire on February 21, 1933. It was rebuilt using the original four walls and reopened as the State Theatre on December 24, 1934. It became the Fox Theatre in the 1950’s. The building still stands as of 2009.

Contributed by Graeme McBain

Recent comments (view all 18 comments)

atmos on March 18, 2010 at 5:10 am

Guys the information on this theatre comes from the website – then click on Going to the Show and then the name Erle Stillwell.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on April 26, 2010 at 10:18 am

Coming Friday Jan 1955 to the FOX “SHADOWS OF TOMBSTONE” with Rex Allen and his wonder horse KOKO.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on August 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

i have a picture of the QUEEN theatre.8 by 10.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 12, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Tom Orr writing in the TIMES-NEWS writes of a tour he was given by the owner of the building the QUEEN was in.The Projection Booth still has the Projectors!June 10 2012.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Orr also added that the projectionist at the time the late Raymond Clouse let his daughter in the booth to watch “JAILHOUSE ROCK”.Other Employees on an old time card are Richard Waters and Joe Orr.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Really a good read, check it out.NEWS-TIMES June 10, 2012.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Architect Erle Stillwell was born in Missouri ,but raised in Hendersonville.The Depression of the 30’s began a big collapse in his career,It was designing Movie Theatres in North and South Carolina,Alabama and Tennessee that saved his career designing 60 Theatres in this region.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm

A lot of Stillwell’s Theatres fell under the Paramount Banner in the Southeast.

dallasmovietheaters on March 11, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Technically, the theater’s grand opening was July 1, 1915. It was given a major facelift closing for period from November 15, 1921 relaunching as the remodeled Queen Theatre on July 3, 1922. The Queen’s name continued over at the Rialto on those dates with that theater changing back to the Rialto on July 3, 1922. The Rialto started Saturday only operation in September and closed prior to year’s end. Grand opening ad for the Queen in photos, as well as ads for the Rialto Theatre, as well as the precursors to those theaters in Hendersonville: the Grand Theatre and the Opera House.

dallasmovietheaters on March 15, 2020 at 7:54 am

The Queen Theatre was gutted by a fire on February 21, 1933. In 1934, Carolina Theatres Circuit acquired the venue using only the original four walls and foundation from the Queen used to create the State Theatre. The State launched on December 24, 1934 with Wheeler and Woolsey in “Kentucky Kernels,” along with the Warner Bros. cartoon, “Funny Little Bunny”, the short with Lionel Stander and Shemp Howard, “Pugs and Kisses,” and the travelogue, “Journey in Flanders.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.