Beach Street and South Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Reopen the Regent (Official)
Architects: P.V. Levett
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Pavilion Theatre
The Pavilion Theatre opened on the sea-front of Deal on 28th July 1928. It was built for and operated by Deal Council. Bookings for decent live shows soon proved difficult to maintain, so the building was converted into a cinema, to the plans of Margate architect P.V. Levett. He turned the interior around 25 degrees, so the stage end was now on the west side of the building, rather than the original southern end. This gave better sightlines for the screening of films. A café was provided in a room to the left of the entrance doors and a new projection box and offices were built in a first floor extension over the front of the building. The cinema was given a new name Regent Cinema on its opening on 13th July 1933 with the film "King of the Ritz" starring Stanley Lupino.
The Regent Cinema was closed by the Bloom Circuit on 13th July 1963, when they transferred the bingo operation across from their Royal Cinema building (the Royal Cinema then re-opened for film use). A false ceiling was inserted inside the Regent Cinema auditorium, hiding the original plaster ceiling, but it could still be viewed by peering through the portholes in the disused (and off-limits) projection box.
The bingo club at the Regent Cinema building was closed on 9th January 2009, a victim of the Government’s ban on smoking in public places. There was talk in April 2010 to convert the building into a twin screen cinema, each with 140 seats, with the remainder of the building used as a community centre or even possible use as a multi-purpose performing arts centre. It is owned by Dover District Council.
In June 2010, two businessmen purchased the building, and in June 2013, plans were announced to convert it into a 3-screen cinema, which was planned to open in late-2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.