Gulf Drive-In

4044 S. Port Avenue,
Corpus Christi, TX 78415

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Claude Ezell and Associates Inc., Robb & Rowley-United Inc., United Artists Theater Circuit Inc.

Architects: Jack M. Corgan

Nearby Theaters

Gulf Drive-In exterior

Opened in January 1949, the Gulf Drive-In was located in what at that time were the outskirts of Corpus Christi. The rear of the screen had a large sea-gull mural. Operated by Claude Ezell & Associates Inc., the Gulf Drive-In had a capacity for 750 cars. From 1968 to its closing in 1978 it screen Spanish language movies.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on September 2, 2010 at 9:02 pm

In 1956 it was owned by C.C.Ezell and Assoc.Ken.

Yakima1 on October 27, 2010 at 8:14 am

The Gulf opened Friday Jan 21, 1949 by U&E (Underwood & Ezell) as a 500 car capacity, $225,000 drive-in. It operated for the first year or so under the U&E banner eventually shifting to the Ezell & Assoc. banner. WG Underwood had already passed in June of 1948. The first feature shown was “A Date With Judy” starring Wallace Beery.

The theater was upgraded in the spring of 1952 to a 750 car capacity. The mural was changed from a sea gull to a mermaid at that time. At some point in the mid 50s Claude Ezell sold out to the Corpus Christi Theaters / Robb-Rowley / Rowley United / United Artists circuit who continued to operate it until 1968 when they leased it to T. “Bob” Cuellar who began to operate The Gulf drive-in, The Buccaneer drive-in and The Tower theater as Spanish language theaters under the same banner.

There is a Home Depot at this site now (2010).

Yakima1 on October 31, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Here are some newspaper ads.
View link

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

thanks Yakima I love looking at the old ads.

rivest266 on August 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

1956 aerial uploaded here.

Neubauer on July 21, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Repaired speakers as a teenager at the Gulf. Had stereo car speakers for movies in stereo!

dallasmovietheaters on August 25, 2015 at 11:38 pm

For the 1952 season, the seagull mural was replaced by a mermaid on the Gulf tower.

rivest266 on November 27, 2020 at 4:45 pm

Closed in 1978 after showing Spanish movies from 1968.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.