1419 5th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc., Wometco Theatres
Functions: Art Gallery
Styles: Mediterranean Revival, Streamline Moderne
The Ace Theater was located slighty north of the Main Street strip. It was operating as an open air theatre in the 1920’s. In 1935 it was taken over by Wometco Theatres and in 1938 they roofed it over. from around 1942, and was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary E.J. Sparks. It was remodeled in a Streamline Moderne style in 1945. By 1953 it was operating as an African-American theatre. The Ace Theater was closed by Wometco Theatres in 1967 and became a church. They moved out of the building in 1977.
The building has some Mediterranean elements to it. Fortunately, the building has been preserved and is presently an art gallery.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Listed as a colored theater in 1953.
Open till at least ~1964? Anyone care to verify the exact date?
Need more info and photos.
The Ace was built as an open-air theatre in the 1920s. The Wometco Circuit took it on in 1935 and purchased it outright in 1938. It received its roof at that time and then was rebuilt as a more traditional, streamline modern movie house in 1945. Wometco closed it as a movie venue in 1967 and it became a house of worship from that point until being boarded up in 1977.