12-14 S. Potomac Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Architects: Harry E. Yessler
The Colonial Theatre was opened in 1914, designed by Harry E. Yessler. It is considered the first large movie theater built in the Hagerstown area. The nearby Maryland Theatre was designed specifically for vaudeville, though later became a movie house.
Its exterior was designed in a fantastically ornate Beaux-Arts style, with white terra cotta columns separating sets of windows on the second and third floors of the theater, topped by a large lunette filled with symbolic sculpture. The interior, however, was much more subdued in its decor. Some of its original interior was replaced during a 1930’s remodeling. By 1941 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
The Colonial Theatre’s days as a movie house are long behind it, and the theater currently serves as a church.
In 1978, the Colonial Theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.