202 N. Beaton Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc.
Architects: H. F. Pettigrew, John A. Worley
Firms: Pettigrew & Worley
Functions: Medical Center
Styles: Spanish Colonial
The Rio Theatre was opened on March 15, 1941 with Rufe Davis in “Barnyard Follies”. Seating was listed at 455. The Rio Theatre was done in a Colonial Spanish style. The theatre was owned by Interstate Theatres Inc. Last operated by Texas Consolidated Theatres, they closed it on March 19, 1951 with Leo Gorcey in They’re in the Army Now". It went over to retail use.
The theatre later became a church. By 2015 it was in use as medical offices.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 4 comments)
RIO THEATRE Photo back when it was being used as a Book Store. Photo Taken back in March of 2005..
Randy A Carlisle – RAC Photography
While the caption of Randy Carlisle’s photo (linked in the previous comment) says that the Rio Theatre was at 227 N. Beaton Street, Google’s street view shows it at 202 N. Beaton (west side, second building north of 5th Avenue.) It is currently occupied by the local offices of a medical services company called Family Care of Texas.
The Rio opened on March 15, 1941, just 24 hours right after the Palace reopened its doors after remodeling. The Rio opened with Rufe Davis in “Barnyard Follies” as a Saturday matinee only.
Texas Consolidated closed the Rio Theatre at the end of a 10-year lease on March 19, 1951 with Leo Gorcey & the Bowery Boys in “They’re in the Army Now.” The building was then converted for other retail purposes.