306 W. 7th Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
The Worth Theatre and adjoining Worth Hotel were designed in 1928 by Alfred Charles Finn and Wyatt C. Hendrick, who would also team up a year later to design the Electric and Hollywood Theatre Building and in 1930, the twenty-story Fair Building, all three marvels of early Art Deco style architecture in downtown Fort Worth. Additional design contributions were by John Eberson.
The Worth Theatre seated 2,484 and like its contemporaries on the Seventh Street ‘theater row’, the Hollywood Theatre and Palace Theatre, were major showplaces for several decades for both live and on-screen entertainment. In the early-1940’s, the Worth Theatre was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Hoblitzelle & O'Donnell.
It wasn’t until the late-1960’s and early-1970’s, when multiplexes in the suburbs began to draw theater-goers away from downtown that the huge movie palaces of Fort Worth, like so many others around the country, began to fall into decline.
The Worth Theatre was closed in 1971 and was demolished not long afterwards. In 1975, the historic Fort Worth Club Building (also designed in part by Hendrick) of 1926 was expanded a half-block west, with a fourteen-story addition on the site of the former Worth Theatre and Hotel.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.