No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Harold Seymour Scott
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Regal Cinema
The Regal Cinema was opened in 1932, and was initially an independently operated cinema. It had 396 seats and a 19 feet wide proscenium.
Taken over by the Union Cinema chain in 1936, they were taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in October 1937.
The Regal Cinema was taken over by an independent operator on 10th April 1960 and was closed in June 1963. It was converted into a bingo club which was opened by films star/actor Sid James in December. He was mobbed by angry teenagers protesting “"Ban the Bingo - We Want Cinema”. Sid James had his tie pulled off!
It was re-opened as a cinema by ABC on 23rd August 1965 and was closed in February 1974, but was re-opened a month later. Closed on 4th September 1976 for conversion into a twin screen cinema it reopened as the ABC on 12th December 1976. Seating was provided for 297 in screen 1, and 200 in screen 2.
The ABC was closed on 30th October 1982, and was demolished in around 1989.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.