512 Franklin Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Henry L. Newhouse
Firms: Newhouse & Bernham
The Tivoli Theatre was built in 1922 on the site of the the Grand Opera House (later known as the Orpheum Theatre, and finally, the Garden Theatre, when it became a vaudeville and silent film house) which had been destroyed in a fire in 1921. It was opened as the primary suburban anchor by Paramount-Publix.
The almost 1,300-seat Tivoli Theatre was designed in Neo-Classical style, its facade covered in white terra-cotta. It cost over $300,000 to build.
The Tivoli Theatre, which featured a full performance stage, orchestra pit, and balcony, originally hosted vaudeville, as its predecessor did, as well as stage shows, in addition to motion pictures. During the 1930’s, it was acquired by the Balaban & Katz chain.
Much later, the theater had its brief moment in the spotlight when it served as the venue for the Miss Indiana Pageant from 1957 until 1961.
In its later years, it was operated by the Kerasotes Theaters chain, screening movies until it closed in late-1972 and was razed the following February to make way for a new bank.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.