No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Amphitheatre, Princes Theatre, New Princes Theatre
The Amphitheatre was designed by a Mr. Trevanson, and opened on 23rd February 1880. Later it became the Princes Theatre and the seating capacity was for 1,089, with 520 in the orchestra stalls, 92 in the pit stalls, 277 in the dress circle and 200 in the gallery. After a revamp, was re-named New Princes Theatre and the proscenium was 32 feet wide and there were eight dressing rooms. By that time it was located at the rear-side of the Palace Theatre.
In the 1920’s it changed ownership and was operated by the owners of the Olympia Theatre. It name was changed at this time to Gand Theatre. In the early 1930’s, it went over to full time cinema use, but this was a short lived venture, and by 1933, it had become a live theatre once again.
The Grand Theatre was closed on 21st January 1956, and was demolished in 1958. Blackburn’s new telephone exchange was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
A 1957 photograph of the closed Grand Theatre, with the Palace Theatre, and its stage tower behind in the distance. Plus a current view and some memorabilia: