16 Chesterton Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: George P. Banyard
Located a short distance from the main city centre. Built on the site of the Olympia Concert & Tea Rooms, the Tivoli Cinema was opened on 19th March 1925. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 23 feet wide.
It was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain in December 1934, and they were taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in 1938.
ABC closed the Tivoli Cinema on 24th November 1956. It became a warehouse for many years. By 2004, it had been converted into a pub, known as ‘The Graduate’. This closed in 2008. Purchased by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs, it was re-opened on 16th July 2010 as ‘The Tivoli’.
The building was destroyed by a major fire which broke out at 3am on 14th March 2015. The roof and inside of the building were totally destroyed. The façade and three outer walls were saved. It was taken over by City Pub Group in 2019 and plans were announced to renovate the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.