9 Dunkeld Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Robin Baker
Firms: Robin Baker Architects
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Aberfeldy, Perth & Kinross, at the corner of Dunkeld Street and Chapel Street. The 436-seat Birks Cinema was opened on 3rd July 1939 with Walt Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. The proscenium was 26 feet wide (later widened to 27 feet when CinemaScope was fitted in the 1950’s). It was closed in the early-1980’s after operating as a cinema and part time bingo club for several years.
It was converted into a Family Amusements arcade and snooker club which closed in 2004. The building was put up ‘For Sale’ with possibilities for redevelopment. It was purchased by the Friends of the Birks Cinema in 2009, with plans by architect Robin Baker to restore and renovate the building as a community cinema & cafe.
The Birks Cinema was re-opened on 19th April 2013. Now with a reduced seating capacity for 100, it is equipped with state-of-the-art digital projection including 3D. There is a 64-seat cafe.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.