219-36 Jamaica Avenue,
15 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Century Theaters
Architects: R. Thomas Short
News About This Theater
- Feb 20, 2008 — Century's Queens Theatre, Queens Village. NY
The former Queens Theatre stands on Jamaica Avenue at Springfield Boulevard. It opened December 29, 1927 with The Happiness Boys heading a vaudeville production and a movie on the screen. It was equipped with an Austin 3 manual 11 ranks organ. It was built by and operated by Century Theatres for many years and the movie house closed with regular features in March 1974 with Marlon Brando in “Last Tango in Paris”. It then went XXX for a time, independently operated as a porn theatre which closed in February 1989.
It was then restored and reopened in February 1990 as a concert venue named the Queens Theatre, but despite top names appearing such as Kool & the Gang, Frankie Vali & The Four Seasons, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Marshal Tucker Band & Watlon Jennings, it never really took off and sadly closed in late-December 1990.
On October 2, 1993 it was taken over by the New York Deliverence Gospel Temple and they purchased the theatre in January 1995. They sold it to the All Nations Apolostic Tabernacle in September 2006, but apart from scaffolding the facade and removing the balcony fire escapes and all the seating, the building sits unused and was put on the market ‘For Sale" in early-2019.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.