19 Pudding Lane,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd., Union Cinema Co. Ltd.
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Pavilion Picture Palace, Pavilion Cinema
Located in the centre of Maidstone, Kent. The Pavilion Picture Palace was opened on 18th March 1911, a conversion of a former skating rink. It was enlarged in 1920, with a seating capacity of 1,350.
It was modernised and taken over by the Union Cinemas chain on 3rd October 1935, reopened on 5th October 1935 as the 1,421-seat Ritz Cinema, screening “Heart’s Desire” starring Richard Tauber. On stage was Leonora Corbett plus Bobby Howell’s Broadcasting Band. It was equipped with a twin console Compton organ which had 3 manuals on each console and one console had an illuminated rainbow style surround. The instrument had 16 ranks. It was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) circuit in October 1937.
The Ritz Cinema was closed on 11th January 1954 after suffering damage by a fire. It was later demolished and an office and retail development known as Cornwallis House was built on the site. This has since been converted into flats and retail use and renamed The Pavilion.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.