St. James' Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit
Previous Names: Oddfellows Hall, Halifax Peoples' Palace, Alhambra Picture House
The Oddfellows Hall was opened on 6th June 1840. It was a magnificent building, with for Corinthian columns supporting a pediment above. Initially it was used as a general purpose hall, and for concerts and other entertainments. Franz Litz gave a performance here and Charles Dickens gave a reading. It was converted into a music hall in 1888.
In 1900 it was taken over by the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit and was re-named Halifax Peoples' Palace. It began screening films around 1917, and in 1920 it was re-named Alhambra Picture House.
Later known as the Alhambra Cinema, it was purchased by Halifax Council in 1955, but continued to operate as a cinema. CinemaScope was installed and the new proscenium was 25 feet wide.
The Alhambra Cinema was closed on 20th June 1959. The building was demolished in July & August 1963. The site is now used for car parking.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.