Circus and Hippodrome
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Ohmy's Circus
Located in the centre of Rochdale, Lancashire. Ohmy’s Circus was built and opened in October 1882. It was a wooden building, with seating all on a single floor. It was closed and re-opened on 23rd October 1883 as a circus and variety theatre, known as the Circus and Hippodrome.
In January 1903, it began screening films. It was owned by Messrs Smith, Lee and Hargreaves, and film exhibitor James Pringle showed his North American Animated Pictures here. In 1905, Grace Stansfield won 10 shillings and six pence in a singing competition (she later found fame as actress/singer Gracie Fields)
The Circus and Hippodrome was closed in 1908 due to roadworks on Newgate when a new road was cut through the street. A New Hippodrome Theatre was built on an almost adjacent site, which opened on 16th November 1908 (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.