No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: J.W. Hayes & Gray
Previous Names: Tivoli Cinema
Located in Spennymoor, County Durham, five miles south of Durham city. The Tivoli Cinema was opened in 1911 by a Mr. Sleep. Soon after opening, on 25th May 1911, film jammed in the projector causing a minor fire which damaged the operating box. the damage was repaired and it soon continued.
The Tivoli Cinema was rebuilt to the plans of architect J.W. Hayes & Gray, re-opening on 19th October 1930 and operated by Thompson’s Enterprises Ltd. chain. The façade was covered in white tiles. The cinema had a café for the convenience of its patrons. In October 1935 it was taken over by Lewis Sheckman, and passed to the Newcastle upon Tyne based Essoldo chain.
It was re-named Essoldo from 10th January 1947. Part-time bingo was introduced in the early-1960’s and it was closed to films in 1969 and became a full time bingo club. This later closed and the building became a nightclub. It was destroyed by a fire on the night of 24th/25th August 1995.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.