William Carlos Williams Center for the Performing Arts
1 Williams Plaza,
3 people favorited this theater
Functions: Performing Arts
Previous Names: Rivoli Theatre, George W. Newman Theatre
Constructed as the 2,200-seat Rivoli Theatre to the plans of architect Abram Preiskel, it opened April 22, 1922. The building featured a marble facade, ornate proscenium and a centerpiece chandelier made up of 62,000 Czechoslovakian crystals. The theatre played host to vaudeville acts such as Abbott & Costello and the Glen Miller Orchestra, plus movies. movies. It was remodelled in 1936 to the plans of architect John Eberson. The Rivoli Theatre was partially destroyed in a fire January 9 1977, when most damage was done to the lobby that fronted onto Sylvan Street.
Repairs were carried out and the theatre was reopened in 1982 as a performing arts theatre named George W. Newman Theatre. In October 2012 following damage caused by Superstorm Sandy, the theatre was closed as a safety measure. By 2021 it was renamed William Carlos Williams Center for the Performing Arts.
On April 27, 1982 the Williams Cinemas 1 & 2 were opened on the site of the former front section of the Rivoli Theatre (which have their own page on Cinema Treasures as the Williams Center Cinemas).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.