24 Strand Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: W.E. Taylor
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Odeon
Located in Londonderry, County Londonderry. The Strand Cinema was opened on 17th January 1935. It was the luxury cinema of Londonderry, and at the time of opening it had the largest neon sign in the whole of Ireland. The auditorium had troughs of concealed lighting in the ceiling, and seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. There was also a café for the convenience of its patrons.
Soon after opening it was taken over by the Curren Theatres chain. In the 1950’s it was taken over by Odeon Theatres(Ireland) Ltd. part of the Rank Organisation. They gave it a make-over, and it was renamed Odeon.
It was refurbished in 1967, re-opening with “The Sound of Music”, which was presented in 70mm. Rank closed the Odeon on 11th January 1975.
It was re-opened by an independent operator on 1st December 1975, now as a twin-screen cinema, and again sporting the Strand Cinema name. The Strand Cinema was closed on 17th September 1992, and was demolished within weeks. The new 7-screen Strand Cinema (now re-named Derry Omniplex) was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.