212 E. Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Alliance Theater Corp.
Previous Names: Nelson Theatre, Majestic Theatre, Luna Theatre
Opened as the Nelson Theatre by 1908. In December 1917 it was renamed Majestic Theatre. In 1921 it was renamed Luna Theatre. On September 15, 1934 it was renamed Roxy Theatre. It was located downtown near the State Theatre and the Logan Theatre. By 1941 it was operated by Alliance Theater Corp. and they continued to operate it into at least the early-1950’s. It was closed in the late-1950’s and stood unused into the 1970’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 5 comments)
Opened 15, November, 1934. Opening attraction was “Here Comes The Navy”
The 1908-1909 edition of the Cahn guide lists the “New Nelson Theatre. Just opened.” The house had 1,200 seats. Later editions of the Cahn guide indicate that about a third of those were in the gallery that was removed when the house was remodeled as the Roxy. The 1921 Cahn guide listed the house as the Luna Theatre.
The future Roxy is billed on this vintage postcard as Theater Nelson. Though a row of four Victorian commercial buildings survives on this block of Market Street today, everything else, including the theater, has vanished.
An item datelined Logansport in the December 1, 1917, issue of The Moving Picture World says: “Frank Robinson has leased the Nelson theater and renamed it the Majestic.” A longer item appeared in the December 8 issue of the same journal:
Actually The Theater Became The Roxy Theatre On September 15, 1934. It Reopened With James Cagney In The Hit-Smash “Here Comes The Navy” Along With Pathe News, A Cartoon: Betty Boop’s Only Color Appearance In The Fleischer Era In “Poor Cinderella”, And A Performance By Vincent Lopez And His Orchestra.