1564 State Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in February, 1936, the Ohio Theatre sat just north of the High Bridge connecting Akron with Cuyahoga Falls. An advantage of its suburban location was its ability to provide two acres of free parking for patrons.
Popular in its early years, the house began to decline with the arrival of television and was closed by 1953. That year, it was converted into the home of Rex Humbard’s Calvary Temple, which outgrew the facility within a few years.
In 1959, the Ohio Theatre was reopened as a live theater presenting productions of Broadway musicals, and in 1961 it hosted a Shakespeare festival, with the young John Lithgow as one of the company’s actors. After closing as a theater the building housed a series of restaurants, and in 1985 it became Hilarities Comedy Club.
Hilarities occupied the theater until the building was gutted by a fire in 2004. After sitting vacant for three years, the Ohio Theatre building was demolished in 2007.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.