211 Thornaby Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: E.J. Hinge Circuit
Firms: Archibald & Archibald
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Thornaby-on-Tees, Cleveland at the corner of Thornaby Road and Lanehouse Road, opposite the swimming baths. The Mayfair Cinema was built by the Newcastle upon Tyne based E.J. Hinge circuit. It opened on 29th August 1938 with Barry K. Barnes in “The Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel”. Designed by architectural firm Archibald & Archibald of Middlesbrough, seating was provided for 525 in the stalls and 220 in the circle. It was equipped with a RCA sound system. The side walls of the auditorium were decorated with painted murals.
Around 1960, it began bingo sessions on certain nights of the week, and in 1962, it closed as a cinema and became a full time bingo club. This closed in 1996, and the shuttered building became derelict by 1999, and was soon demolished. A youth community centre has been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.