Rialto Cinema

Armstrong Road,
Benwell,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

HJHill
HJHill on June 11, 2014 at 2:07 pm

The Rialto opened 10 May 1937 and was similar in design to the E J Hinge Circuit’s Ritz Cinema in Forest Hall. The architects were Percy L Browne, Son and Harding. The fa├žade was brick and coloured cement with a tower and metal canopies. The entrance vestibule contained the pay-box beyond which was a foyer. The auditorium was decorated in red, beige and gold and had 1026 seats (according to a non-KYB source). The proscenium arch was enhanced with decorative plasterwork. The Rialto closed on 25 June 1961 and became a bingo hall. It was demolished in July 1964 and the site is now occupied by a health centre.