420 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Princess Theatre, New Orpheum Theatre, Orpheum Theatre
Located at an unknown address on Main Street, the Princess Theatre was opened as a live theatre in 1915. It screened D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation” in October 1916.
The owner Ella M. Weekes moved the Princess Theatre to this location in 1929 from further west down Main Street, and installed talkie equipment. It opened with Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians in “Syncopation” on July 11, 1929. It was renamed New Orpheum Theatre on March 29, 1936 (the same day the towns' second Princess Theatre opened in a building which had been the Opera House, and would later become the American Legion Hall). The New Orpheum Theatre opened with Dick Powell in “Thanks a Million” and was listed with a 300-seat capacity. By 1941 it had been renamed Orpheum Theatre and the seating capacity was listed as 350.
In July 1942 it was renamed Maple Theatre was closed on January 5, 1950 with “Madam Bovary” starring Van Heflin & Jennifer Jones. The towns' ‘new’ larger Maple Theatre opened on January 10, 1950.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.