1737 Central Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Hill Theatre, developed by the Atomic Energy Commission, opened on November 9, 1951 in downtown Los Alamos. It wasn’t a hastily constructed government building but a very modern sleek structure with room for stores on the second floor and to one side of the main entrance.
The operator of the 994-seat theater was Theatre Enterprises, whose first movie was Janet Leigh and Paul Douglas in “Angels in the Outfield". After a life of less than four years, the Hill Theatre closed in 1955 and was remodeled into a department store. Most recently the building has been home to CB Fox Department Store.
According to the Santa Fe New Mexican, there was a previous Hill Theatre in Los Alamos. The government built it as a wartime theater in 1943 and called it Theater Number One. It was renamed the Hill Theatre after the war and closed on July 1, 1950 and was purchased as surplus by a church and moved.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Boxoffice, Nov. 18, 1950: “LOS ALAMOS, N. M. - The federal ban on amusement building will not affect the construction of a new theatre on the proving grounds here. The new building, scheduled for completion next summer, will contain office and commercial space in addition to the theatre.”