1401 Macdonald Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Fox West Coast Theatres opened the Liberty Theatre at 1401 Macdonald Avenue in downtown Richmond on April 14, 1943. The Liberty Theatre was named for the Liberty Ships (World War II cargo ships) which were being produced at an amazing rate at Richmond’s Kaiser Shipyards and which were in main part responsible for Richmond’s dynamic population explosion. The Liberty Theatre played mostly first run films, sometimes move-overs to the Liberty Theatre after playing their first week’s engagement at the Costa Theatre.
When the war ended and no more Liberty Ships were needed the Kaiser Shipyards closed. It was inevitable that some of the new movie theaters built to serve Richmond’s expanding wartime population would be closing. The Liberty Theatre hung on for a few more years but became the first official movie theatre casualty of the economy downturn and closed permanently in the spring of 1949. It was later demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.