27 Aberdeen Walk,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Frank Alfred Tugwell
Previous Names: Aberdeen Walk Picture House, Aberdeen Cinema
Designed to the plans of architect Frank A. Tugwell, the Aberdeen Walk Picture House opened on 10th September 1920. Seating was provided for 915. It had a 26 feet wide proscenium, the stage was 12 feet deep and there was one dressing room. The cinema also boasted a café attached. In late-1929 it was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system.
By 1944 it had been re-named Aberdeen Cinema and had been equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system and a second dressing room had been added. The seating capacity had been reduced to 884. The café was in use as a dance hall.
Later equipped with an RCA sound system, it was re-named Gaiety Cinema around 1957. CinemaScope had been installed and the screen was 28 feet wide (possibly positioned forward of the original 26 feet wide proscenium). Live shows were presented during the summer months. In the early-1960’s it was presenting summer live shows and was in use as a bingo club for the remainder of the year. It became a Walker’s Bingo Club and by 1994 it was operating as Corrigan’s Bingo Club. It has now been gutted internally and converted into a charity shop for the British Heart Foundation.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.