45-47 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: C.S. Joseph Circuit, Wood's Picture Halls Ltd.
Architects: Archibald Hurley Robinson
Located in Bilston, to the southeast of Wolverhampton. The Savoy Cinema was across the street from the Alhambra Cinema, and both were operated by Thomas Wood. The Savoy Cinema was opened on 10th October 1927 with Dorothy Phillips in “Remember”. Seating was provided on a stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear, rather than the usual overhanging balcony. Around 1930 it was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system. In 1936 it was taken over by Cyril Joseph’s C.S. Joseph Circuit. In August 1957 it was taken back by the Wood family.
The Savoy Cinema was closed in June 1962. It was demolished, apart from some sections of the outer walls, and a Tesco supermarket was built on the site. That building is now a pub in the J.D. Wetherspoon chain named ‘The Sir Henry Newbolt’.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.