475 Aspley Lane,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Eskay Ltd.
Architects: Alfred John Thraves
Styles: Art Deco
Located in the northwest Nottingham district of Aspley. The Forum Cinema was opened on 15th February 1937 with William Powell in “The Ex Mrs. Bradford” and Laurel & Hardy in “Going Bye-Bye”. It was built for the Eskay Cinemas chain headed by Herbert Elton and a subsidiary of Midland Empire Theatres Ltd. It was designed in an Art Deco style by architect Alfred J. Thraves. The wide exterior was a mass of red brick broken only by a slender horizontal window edged in white stone over the central entrance, and the name ‘Forum’ above. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. There were troughs in the auditorium ceiling which contained indirect lighting, and there were painted murals on the side-walls.
CinemaScope was installed in 1955 when Robert Taylor in “Knights of the Round Table” became the first film in that process to be screened here. The Forum Cinema was closed on 4th April 1959 with Glenn Ford in “Torpedo Run” and George Nader in “Nowhere to Go”. It was converted into a bingo club in 1960. This operated until around 1990, when the building was converted into offices, used as the head office for a video rental company. It has since been demolished and Melbourne House Care Home now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.