1619 W. 63rd Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Pereira and Pereira
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Hippodrome Theatre, Atlas Theatre, West Englewood Theatre
The Hippodrome Theatre opened in 1912 in the West Englewood neighborhood of Chicago’s South Side, and was built for the Ascher Brothers circuit. It was located near the intersection of W. 63rd Street and S. Ashland Avenue, not far from Ogden Park. Both movies and vaudeville acts were featured in its early years. Renamed Atlas Theatre in 1918, in 1920 it became the West Englewood Theatre. In the mid-1920’s, Bob Hope worked at the West Englewood Theatre, appearing as an emcee. By 1929 it was operated by the Cooney Brothers National Theaters Corp. circuit.
In 1936, Warner Brothers, which ran the theatre from the 1930’s into the 1950’s, had the theatre completely remodeled in Art Moderne style by the firm of Pereira & Pereira. After a brief closure, it reopened, renamed the Ogden Theatre, with movies only on September 9, 1936 with Ross Alexander in “Brides Are Like That”.
It remained in operation until 1961, and was demolished in July 1962.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.