17 Castle Gates,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Beauty Salon, Office Space
Previous Names: Picturdrome, Central Hall Picture Palace
Located directly across the street from the former Granada Theatre (now Gala Bingo Club) in the city centre. This was originally a chapel & schoolroom which was built in 1844, and was made redundant in March 1909. It was converted into the Picturdrome which had opened by November 1909. It closed in December 1909, but after some alterations to comply with the new Cinematograph Act which came into force in January 1910 it re-opened on 24th January 1910 as the 650-seat Central Hall Picture Palace, operated by Glynn Hill & Co.
The Central Cinema was closed on 21st March 1931 due to damage from a fire. The last films screened were the Duncan Sisters in “Topsy and Eva” and Virginia Valli in “Behind Closed Doors”. The fire was in the rewind room and the main auditorium was only slightly damaged, but the cinema never re-opened.
It was converted into retail use, for many years an auto parts shop. In 2015 it is a tattoo parlour and offices for a loan company. In November 1995 it was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.