207 Roker Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Roker Variety Theatre
Located on Roker Avenue, next to the Wheatsheaf pub, in the Monkwearmouth district to the north of Sunderland, Tyne & Wear. The Roker Variety Theatre opened on 15th October 1915. It operated as a cine-variety theatre and was owned by Sunderland Amusements Ltd. The Proscenium was 30ft wide, the stage 30ft deep and there were four dressing rooms. It was equipped with a 2Manual/16Ranks ‘straight’ organ made by Sunderland firm William Sewell. Originally the projection box was located at the rear of the stalls. In 1931 the projection box was re-located to the rear of the circle and it was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system with Marilyn Miller in “Sally” being the first ‘talkie’ shown. It was re-named Roker Theatre.
The Roker Theatre was closed on 8th April 1961 with the Walt Disney film “Darby O'Gill and the Little People”.
It has since been demolished and the site is used by car sales dealership.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.