115 Bass Highway,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Burnie Drive-In, Star Drive-In, Starlight Drive-In
The Somerset Drive-In opened in December 1958, and closed in 1984. The site is now the Somerset Beachside Cabin and Caravan Park. The entrance and exit roads are now used as the caravan park entrance and exit roads, and the ramps used for the caravans to camp on. The snack bar and bio box is used for the caravan park offices(and shop, and cafe(Two Oaks), and the toilet block used as the caravan park toilets and showers. The speaker posts and speakers(and marquee, and signs?) may still be there? The screen may be gone? There is the base of a hurdy gurdy still there(the hurdy gurdy was removed in 2008) 5 metres in front of where the screen was. Some of the lights are still there, and possibly the playground slide as well?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
There is some information and photos on the website www.somersetbeachside.com.au in the history section.
Also known as Starlight Drive-in . Operated by Star Theatres from 1958 to mid 1970’s when taken over by Tasmanian Drive-in Theatres(Village), after Star sold off it’s remaining theatres.