Fox State Theatre
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres, Loew's Inc.
Architects: Walter J. Cuthbertson
Firms: Mooser & Cuthberson
Previous Names: MacDonough Theatre, Loew's State Theatre, Vitaphone Theatre
The MacDonough Theatre opened in November 14, 1892 as a playhouse; the architects were Mooser & Cuthberson. For many years it was considered THE theater to go to in Oakland. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual 7 ranks organ, which was removed in 1931 to be installed in the new Fox Theatre, Tucson, AZ.
The theatre went through several name changes over the years, among them the Loew’s State Theatre from November 14, 1920, Vitaphone Theatre from June 27, 1928, and became the Fox State Theatre from December 25, 1930 and by this time it was primarily showing movies.
The Fox State Theatre closed in 1945 and was demolished in 1956 for an office and bank building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 6 comments)
The Fox State Theatre seated 1572 people.
The Fox State’s address was 1320 Broadway.
The 2 manual 7 rank Wurlitzer organ was removed to the new Fox Theatre in Tucson circa 1931.
Here is a 1925 photo:
1944 photo added via Philip Duhe.
Grand opening ad Macdonough theatre opening Tue, Oct 25, 1892 – Page 4 · Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California) · Newspapers.com