45 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Scala Cinema
Located in Ryde, on the Isle of Wight. The Scala Cinema was opened 22nd December 1921. It was operated by Arthur Hill who operated the Royalty Cinema, Cowes and the Grand Cinema, Newport. Seating was provided for 580 in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 24ft wide. In 1930 it was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system (later upgraded to a Western Electric(WE) sound system). Later operated by Isle of Wight Theatres, in October 1965 they sold the Scala Cinema to the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain who re-named it Plaza Cinema after some modernisation, particularly to the facade. The Plaza Cinema closed on 20th June 1973. It became a Star Bingo Club, which closed in the 1970’s when the nearby Commodore Cinema was subdivided into a bingo club and cinema. The Plaza Cinema was demolished and a Gateway supermarket was built on the site, which in 2016 is an Iceland supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.