Loew's Delancey Theatre
140-146 Delancey Street,
13 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: S.S. Sugar
Previous Names: Loew's Delancey Street Theatre
Located next door to the historic Ratner’s dairy restaurant, the Loew’s Delancey Street Theatre was once a cornerstone of life on New York’s Lower East Side. It was built in 1911, opening in 1912. But, with the later rush to the suburbs, the theatre and the surrounding neighborhood declined. Loew’s Delancey Theatre was closed around May 1976.
Today, the theatre remains closed, and has been converted to retail space. Specifically, the front facade and first level of the theatre are now occupied by four different tenants, including a Burger King, Subway, and Children’s Place store. A sign on the theatre’s exterior indicates the upper floors are also available for rent.
The current condition of the theatre’s interior is unknown, though it’s probably safe to assume most, if not all, of the theatre is gutted.
Sadly, the Lower East Side remained dramatically under-screened. Until the February 2002 opening of the Sunshine Theatre, there was not a single movie theatre on the Lower East Side and the nearest multiplex or megaplex was at least 15 minutes away. The Sunshine Theatre was closed in February 2018 and was demolished in July 2019. However the 14-screen Regal Essex Crossing & RPX opened diagonally across Delancey Street from the Loew’s Delancey Theatre in April 2019.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.