New Fillmore Theatre
1329 Fillmore Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Nasser Bros. Theaters
Firms: Reid Brothers
Styles: Art Deco
The New Fillmore Theatre, originally designed by the Reid Brothers, opened on October 4, 1917, with “On the Level” with Fannie Ward. It was built by Nasser Bros. at a cost of $250,000, who also operated its ‘sister’ theater, the New Mission Theatre (q.v.). The two theaters were quite similar in size, as well as from an architectural standpoint, often shared the same newspaper ads, and even offered the same second-run film attractions to their respective neighborhoods. Like the New Mission Theatre, the New Fillmore Theatre was remodeled in 1932 by Timothy Pflueger in Art Deco style.
By the mid-1950’s the impact of television as well as the deterioration of the surrounding neighborhood brought about the demise of the New Fillmore Theatre. It closed in May 1957.
After standing vacant for many years, it was finally torn down to make way for the neighborhood redevelopment program.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.