1518 W. Baltimore Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: State Theatres Circuit (aka Rome Theaters)
Firms: Wyatt & Nolting
One of West Baltimore’s best known and larger movie houses was the Capitol Theatre, on West Baltimore Street. Nearly impossible to spot today, the old theatre lobby has been converted into stores, and the theatre section has been converted into a warehouse at last check.
The opening of the Capitol Theatre mean’t the demise of the nearby Westend Theatre, and it operated as a movie theatre from February 5, 1921 until its closing in 1970.
Nothing fancy in the front facade or the main lobby of the theatre but the auditorium was a little more elaborate. Columns down each wall about every ten feet with scone lighting on each column. The screen had a drop curtain in a deep red. The only carpeting in the theatre was the runners down each of the three aisles.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 8 comments)
Here are some photos:
In 1963, the Capitol was operated by Rome Theaters, a Baltimore-based chain. Other theaters in the chain at that time, all in Baltimore, were the Apollo, the Broadway, the Harlem, the Leader and the Rialto.
Here is an exterior photo:
Grand opening ad
Found on Newspapers.com powered by Newspapers.com