Avenida Brigadeiro Luiz Antonio 411,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Firms: Afalo & Gasperini
Functions: Live Theatre
Previous Names: Cine Paramount, Cines Paramount 1-5, Teatro Abril
Located in the Bela Vista district in the south of the city centre. The Cine Paramount was opened with 1,530 seats on 29th April 1929 with Emil Jannings and Lewis Stone in “The Patriot” (Alto Traicao), a part silent-part talkie Paramount Picture. It was the first cinema in South America to screen sound films. It was built by the American Paramount Pictures Inc. Designed in a Neo-Classical/Art Nouveau style by architects Francisco Augusto da Silva Rocha and Francisco de Paula Ramos de Azevedo.
In 1969 the auditorium was badly damaged by a fire. The foyer & facade were saved. It was rebuilt as a 5-screen cinema which had three auditoriums downstairs and two upstairs. In the 1980’s it was declared by the City of Sao Paula a Listed Heritage building. By 1990 it was screening a mix of adult porn films and childrens films. It was closed as a cinema in 1996.
The building was restored in 2000 and with a new stage house and modern auditorium designed by architectural firm Afalo & Gasperini. It reopened as the Teatro Abril on 25th April 2001 with “Les Miserables” which ran until 31st March 2002. Since then it has staged hit musicals such as “Chicago”, “Beauty and the Beast”, “Phantom of the Opera”, “Miss Saigon”, “Cats”, “Mama Mia!”. In March 2012 it was re-named Teatro Renault and has staged “The Adams Family”, “The Lion King” and “Wicked”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.