New Basin Theatre
N. Spring Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Tri-State Theatres (TX)
Previous Names: Commodore Theatre, Gaslight Theatre
The Commodore Theatre opened on April 12, 1923 as a 200-seat silent movie house in downtown Eureka Springs by Herman Alwes. Within two months, the theatre was almost destroyed by a fire and refurbished. It was sold to Tri-State Theatre Circuit in 1928 which modified the theatre to talkies and sold back to Alwes.
When Alwes died in 1940, Cecil Mayberry bought the Commodore Theatre and rebranded it as the New Basin Theatre launching September 25, 1940. In 1955, Mayberry retrofitted the theatre to CinemaScope and increased seat count into 300. The theatre lasted into the 1970’s when it was given a brief rebranding as the Gaslight Theatre before closing in 1976. It was used for other retail purposes shortly thereafter.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
Correction: In November 1931, H.E. Ruh of Berryville’s Ozark Theatre, purchased the Commodore. Ruh changed the Commodore to the Ozark Theatre. Within a year, Mayberry re-assumed control of the venue changing it back to the Commodore Theatre.