2200 Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Baker City Opera House
The Baker County Library notes the Baker City Opera House was built about 1900. It cost $35,000 and originally seated 1,077 with three balconies contained in the four-story structure. In 1925 owners K.L. and Jack F. Burk renamed it the Clarick after Clara and Fredericka, their relatives.
As noted by the Eltrym Theatre, while owned by Frank and Myrtle Buckmiller since 1928 the Clarick Theatre was destroyed by fire November 12, 1937, leaving the Buckmillers with their Empire Theatre and Orpheum Theatre. Myrtle passed away in January 1940, but was remembered by a clever twist to her name for the Eltrym Theatre, which opened in June 1940.
As a movie theatre Film Daily Year Book 1926 listed the Clarick Theatre with 600 seats and then later with 650, perhaps because the balconies were closed.
The former location can be found today by the now fading Art Deco style Safeway market, later built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.