Europa Palast & Europa Studio

Graf-Adolph-Strasse 40-44,
Dusseldorf 40210

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater


View address on Google Maps

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Ufa

Architects: Ernst Huhn, Jacob Koerfer

Previous Names: Palast Theater, Kammer Lichtspiele, Tonbild Theater, Europa Palast

Nearby Theaters

No theaters found within 30 miles

Europa Palast & Europa Studio

Located in the city centre district of Innenstadt. The Arabisches Cafe opened in 1895 designed to the plans of an architect named Peters. The first movie screenings in Dusseldorf took place in the Aradisches Cafe. On 27th November 1906 it opened as a cinema named the Palast Theater. It was remodeled in 1909 to the plans of architect A.W. Venkord. It was operated by Palast Theater Dusseldorf and contained 600-seats. In 1921 it was re-named Kammer Lichtspiele and was operated by National Filmverleih GmbH based in Berlin. It was listed with 430-seats. In 1928 the building was demolished.

The Europa Haus was built on the site, opening in 1929. It was designed by architect Jacob Koerfer. The Europa Haus contained the 1,741-seat Europa Palast cinema which was operated by Europa Palast GmbH. It contained a Wurlitzer 2Manual/6Ranks organ. In 1931 a Klangfilm sound system was installed and the cinema was taken over by the Emelka Theater AG based in Munich. In 1933 the cinema was operated by Kolnische Haus & Grundstrucksverwaltung and later in 1940 it was operated by Residenz Theater GmbH. The Eauropa Palast was badly damaged by Allied bombs during World War II.

Reapairs were quickly made in 1945 and it re-opened. In 1949 it was modernised to the plans of architect Ernst Huhn. The colours of the 1,762-seat auditorium walls were red & gold. In 1953 3D movies were screened and the cinema was operated by Ufa Theater AG chain. Also in 1953 a second screen was added named Europa Studio with 220-seats. The opening attraction at the Europa Studio was the re-release of “Gone With the Wind” starring Vivian Leigh, Clark Gable and directed by Victor Fleming. In 1955 CinemaScope was installed and a 4-channel stereophonic sound system was added. The EX projectors were by Ernemann. In 1964 the cinema was closed and later it became a live theatre. It was later demolished and a warehouse was built on the site.

In 1971 a cinema named Europa Filmtheater was opened at Graf-Adolph-Strass 108, which has its own page on Cinema Treasures.

Contributed by Ken Roe, Kinospoter
You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.