ABC Ionic Golders Green
612 Finchley Road,
3 people favorited this theater
Firms: George Coles and Company
Previous Names: New Ionic Cinema, Cannon Ionic
Located in the northwest London district of Golders Green. In 1975 the original 1913 built Ionic Cinema (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures) was demolished and a supermarket built on the site with the new Ionic Cinema (around half the number of seats as the original) on the 1st floor level. The New Ionic Cinema opened on 25th August 1975 with “The Four Musketeers”.
Designed by the architectural firm George Coles and Company, it was taken over by the Cannon Group in 1986 and re-named Cannon Ionic. In 1997 it was taken over by ABC Cinemas and re-named ABC Ionic from November 1997.
It remained a single screen until closure on 30th September 1999 with Tom Cruise in “Eyes Wide Shut”.
There was talk of the Sainsbury’s Supermarket which is located in the building, wanting extra space, and also talk of conversion into a gym, but to date nothing has happened and the former cinema space has remained empty and unused. Golders Green is an affluent area without a cinema and the Ionic could well fare well in an art-house operation.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.