1200 Canal Street,
12 people favorited this theater
Joy Theater (Official)
Previously operated by: Joy's Theaters Inc.
Firms: Favrot & Reed
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
- Feb 18, 2012 — Old movie theaters find new life
- Dec 20, 2011 — Joy Theater on Canal Street comes back to life
- Jul 18, 2011 — Renewed Joy in New Orleans
- Jun 18, 2010 — "Jaws"... Happy 35th!
- May 14, 2010 — Please Post Today, May 14 --- "Jaws," Happy 35th
- Jul 21, 2009 — Update on status of New Orleans theaters
- Jan 10, 2006 — "No More Joy" Documentary Available on DVD
The Joy Theater opened on February 7, 1947 with 1,200 seats in orchestra and balcony levels. It is a block from the Loew’s State Theatre and had a handsome Moderne corner marquee with several miles of neon.
When I visited there in 1988, the balcony had been twinned and the orchestra used the main screen. No ornament was visible as the entire auditorium was drapped and a suspended acoustic tile ceiling inserted. The marquee was stupendous!
Closed after Hurricane Katrina, it was renovated and reopened as a live performance/concert venue on December 29, 2011, now reverted back to a single space, with seating for 900.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.