No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Doric Theatre was Erie’s main movie house for more than 35 years though operating in three locations. J.D. Reeder of the Iris Theatre launched the Doric Theatre in downtown Erie on March 7, 1924 with Cecil B. DeMille’s “Manslaughter”. It was owned by Charley Travis and run by John E. Travis and was located on the east side of Main Street.
Five years later in 1929, Travis sold the Doric Theatre to A.W. Pugh who wired it for sound. Two years later, Pugh moved it across the street to the west side. He sold off the original’s 230 seats and its old projectors. The “new” Doric Theatre remained on the west side of Main until 1942.
Tiring of two rents - one for his Blue Goose Café on the east side and the Doric Thetare on the west, Pugh and son, Leon, split the Blue Goose in two creating a the third spot for the Doric Theatre. It launched in its most remembered spot on October 9, 1942 with Robert Cummings in “Saboteur”.
The new location had RCA sound and a cry room for babies. The Streamline Moderne style interior made use of NuWood panelling. The theatre reached 35 years of operation closing in February of 1960. It reopened but was closed permanently on November 11, 1960 by Mr. and Mrs. Everette Pugh.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.