No one has favorited this theater yet
The Royal Theatre opened in 1924. The theater began remodeling on March 31, 1928. After its completion, the Royal Theatre reopened later in August 17 1928 with Richard Barthelmess in “The Noose”.
The Royal Theatre exactly almost a year later installed Vitaphone’s sound system on July 4, 1929 with Jean Hersholt in “The Younger Generation” being its first sound film (although the film had partial talkies in it). It was remodeled again on December 24, 1936
The Royal Theatre is a popular movie house for more than 4 decades for the city of Opp. Very popular enough, George S. Owen was the owner and operator of the Royal Theatre for more than 40 long years in total since the Royal Theatre opened its doors. George along with his wife originally had family in Pensacola, Florida as well. Its not the only theatre George worked on, but he also worked at the Opp Drive-In and the Dixieland Drive-In and he later bought the Midway Drive-In in Sanford as well.
During the week of July 1, 1954, the Royal Theatre installed CinemaScope and was remodeled.
The Royal Theatre continued to operate throughout the mid-1960’s as well, with George himself continuing his strong journey at that time. So the closing date is not known at this time. The hunt still continues.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 3 comments)
Correction: Its not “(later the Dixieland Drive-In)” because the city of Opp had 2 Drive-Ins, not a single one. So he actually worked with both Opp and Dixieland Drive-Ins. He closed the Opp Drive-In on April 27, 1964, exactly 3 days before the Dixieland Drive-In reopened for the 1964 season. The Dixieland Drive-In lasted a lot longer than the Opp Drive-In. As The Dixieland was closed during the Fall of 1983.
The Royal Is Once Remodeled On December 24, 1936.
Uploaded a 1944 photo of the Royal which also included photos of the owners and their daughters which I found on the Facebook site of the Opp Historical Society. Comment indicated the theatre was on Covington Avenue.