Newark Cinema 4
1065 Mount Vernon Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: AMC Cinemas, Crown Cinema Corporation, Mid America Cinemas
Newark Cinema 4 was located in north Newark. It was built into the existing, and almost empty, Plaza Shopping Center by Mid America Cinemas who were the operators of the Heath Cinema 4 (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures). It opened as a first run cinema on December 14, 1984 with David Lynch’s “Dune” and three other movies in the four-screen venue. As with Heath Cinema 4, this location went through a series of exhibitors that included American Multi-Cinema (AMC), Crown Cinema Corporation and Hollywood Theaters. It would later change into a second run budget cinema. The company would save money by simply transporting the release prints from the first-run Heath Cinema 4 to the second-run Newark Cinema 4. The low ticket prices and the ample parking spaces made this venue very popular. For most of its period of operation the screen image was terrible with acceptable focus at the center and would be further out of focus toward the top and bottom of the screen. The final exhibitor finally corrected the problem. Like many multi-plex’s, the screens were not wide enough to fully show anamorphic prints. On July 5, 2000, its doors were closed. Many locals have claimed they haven’t been out to see a movie since Newark Cinema 4 closed because they simply could not afford to. Years later, the Plaza Shopping Center, the area’s first, was completely demolished and the land redeveloped with new stores.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.