1335 North Boulevard,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Bijou Amusement Company
Firms: Wogan & Bernard
Functions: Fraternal Hall
Previous Names: Prince Hall Masonic Temple
Located in the east of Baton Rouge. The Prince Hall Masonic Temple was built in 1924 as a meeting hall for the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows. The building contained the Temple Theatre located on the first floor and part of the 2nd floor and on the fourth floor was the enclosed Temple Roof Garden, a youth club and dance venue, both venues catering for the African-American population. The Temple Roof Garden (aka Grand Ballroom) hosted big names such as Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong.
The Temple Theatre was opened by 1927 and was operated by the Bijou Amusement Company. In 1948 the building was purchased by the Prince Hall Freemasons. It continued to be operated as a movie theatre in 1957 and beyond…..
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 2, 1994.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.