108 W. Front Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Ferdinand L. Kronenberg
Functions: Opera House
Previous Names: Paulick Opera House, Paulick Theatre, Davidson Theatre, Harper Theatre
Frank Paulick believe that an opera house was necessary for a town so he got with architect Ferdinand L. Kronenberg of Madison, WI to design the Paulick Opera House. It appeared to have opened July 22, 1916. Like most small town opera house, the Paulick Opera House turned to showing films. On June 25, 1919, the venue became the Paulick Theatre showing movies full time.
A.L. Davidson bought the theatre changing its name to the Davison Theatre beginning February 20, 1924. The theatre was owned briefly by J.T. Harper in 1927, becoming the Harper Theatre, and then under new owners it became the Muscoda Theatre. The theatre converted to sound to stay viable. On April 18, 1937 while the theatre was screening the movie “Dodge City Trail” starring Charles Starrett, the theatre had a full house and a fire which began in the projection booth which gutted the venue. A new Muscoda Theatre was built ten years later (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 1 comments)
A 1927 Sanborn map shows the Opera House (with notation “Dance Hall & Movies”) on the north side of W. Front Street, just east of midblock. This is now the location of a parking lot adjacent to an Ace Hardware store. The hardware store runs through the block and uses the address 115 W. Nebraska Street, but Google maps street view gives the address 108 WI-133 Trunk (W. Front Street) to the parking lot where the theater once stood.