Grand Electric Palace
18 Silver Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Grand Electric Theatre
The 550-seat Grand Electric Theatre was opened in July 1910 by Midland Electric Theatres Ltd. It was the first purpose built cinema to open in Leicester following the introduction of the 1909 Cinematograph Act. In 1913 the balcony was enlarged and the auditorium was extended into adjacent premises with the seating capacity increased to 1,000. By 1925 it had been re-named Grand Electric Palace and was managed by Edward W. Wallace for Midland Electric Cinemas Ltd. It was closed in 1930 as a silent cinema.
The building then began use as an amusement arcade with dodgem cars and other fairground attractions. In January 1943 it was badly damaged by fire. Repairs were carried out and it reopened as the Queen’s Hall. It later became the Astoria Ballroom which closed in 1957. In 1960 it became Il Rondo Dancehall which closed in 1979 and the building was soon demolished, together with the adjacent Antelope pub, and shops now occupy the site. In 2020 a shop named Health Route occupies where the entrance to the cinema once stood.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.